Good article addressing some of the most important daily diet choices
Perfect summary of important steps you can take as far as your daily diet routine. In my experience taking these steps can dramatically improve your health. As I was reading the article, I realized that over the years, these were exact steps I took, one by one, to get healthy, from eliminating inflammatory foods to giving up cow’s milk. Summary:
- Drink lemon water every morning. I do. I make a whole pitcher, room temperature and just drink it throughout my morning.
- Good fats slow down the metabolism of sugar, so eat fruit with nuts and seeds. It makes for the best on-the-go snack – I love grapes with almonds! I do always have a bag with nuts/seeds in the car and pack some fruit in the morning for a quick healthy snack.
- Salt is good for us, but needs to be consumed in moderation! Sodium and chloride – the two components of salt – are important minerals that, along with potassium, keep muscles, nerves and cells functioning well.
- Cow’s milk – too many cons and not enough pros in my opinion. Switch to goat’s, sheep’s or buffalo milk, which are richerin many vitamins and minerals and contain anti-inflammatory oligosaccharides, which boost friendly gut bacteria and are easier to digest, especially as yoghurt. Try cheeses such as manchego, feta and mozzarella, there many good ones not made from cow’s milk. For calcium, switch to dark green leafy veg, beans, nuts and seeds, grains and nut milks. I use coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk and hemp milk – we always have most of these in the house and just rotate them. For leafy greens I always have baby kale, baby spinach or arugula handy, and add them everywhere – in smoothies, salads, pasta, soups, topthem with roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes…many great ways to get those greens in.
- Fish is better than meat. If I crave a burger I get organic, grass-fed, free-range, and same goes for turkey or chicken.
- Say NO to trans fats or hydrogenated fats – stick with fats from unprocessed oily fish, avocados, goat/sheep products, soya and nuts. It’s better to eat full fat than processed low-fat foods and cold-pressed rather than refined oils. I do love coconut oil too!
Please see the actual article for more detailed information:
To your health,