10 – Day Detox. Rejuvenate, restart, detox your system.
I love a good detox 🙂 It is a great way to refresh, reboot and renew your diet, your body, your digestive system and your lifestyle. Kind of a seasonal maintenance, a jump-start for the whole system.
Every time I mention a detox, I get asked the same question – what is it exactly I myself do, eat, drink during my detox?
Over the years I have done many detox programs, and while all of them have being effective in one way or another, the 10-Day Detox program by Dr. Mark Hyman is by far my favorite. First, it is easy to follow, simple rules, no counting calories, cleaning a juicer (if you have juiced – you know the pain of prep-work and cleaning 🙁 ), plus Dr. Hyman’s book The Blood Sugar Solutions 10-Day Detox Diet is a fantastic educational tool, and with his website on top of it, you have a ton great support.
With few modification to personalize it according to their needs, such as sensitivities, allergies, personal preferences, etc., this is the only detox I put all my clients on.
I myself go on this detox at least 4 times a year. In January, right after the holiday season, then in the Spring with all the fresh, seasonal herbs and greens coming in; over the Summer with the abundance of fresh produce, and finally in October/November, with nice warming foods, stews, soups, herbal teas etc.
Below is my personal version of the 10-day detox that I follow. It varies however, when I prescribe it to a client, according to their bio-individuality.
* I drink a gallon of filtered water a day, with a touch of fresh squeezed lemon juice (I am 5’11”, so for me that is not too much). * I use sauna/steam room as often as I can (great to get the toxins out of the system). * I exercise daily (walking, tennis, Pilates, yoga, weights – anything just to move the body!). * I sleep at least 7 hours a night, and usually do actually wake up before my kids do, on my own, rested and ready to go. * And finally I find some “me” quite time, daily, even if only for a few minutes to be quite, breath and reset.
FOOD for 10 days –
A big juicy happy YES to:
- Tons of leafy greens (collards, kale, bok choy, watercress, spinach, arugula, etc), I rotate them in salads, soups, stews, roasted veggies, shakes.
- Berries – not much, as a snack, or in a breakfast shake (in shakes I prefer frozen).
- Fresh parsley and cilantro everywhere – on my soup (also cooked in the soup), in salads, shakes, with roasted vegetables, stews. Dry is great for cooking, and fresh better to be eaten uncooked.
- Tons of vegetables, especially sulfur and phytonutrients reach vegetables, such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, garlic, onion, ginger, cayenne pepper, turmeric, etc. And any other vegetable as long as non-starchy.
- Good fats such as extra virgin coconut oil, and extra virgin olive oil, avocado and avocado oil, fatty fish like wild salmon.
- Clean proteins – eggs, fish, turkey, chicken, bison, beef – grass-fed, organic, pasture raised, wild-caught, etc.
- Eat as much, and as often as you like without overeating. Do not go hungry. If you feel hungry – eat something!
- Herbal tea.
And not so apologetic, even if only short-term, NO to:
- Dairy (anything made with milk).
- All grains.
- Beans and legumes (peanut is a legume).
- Potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash and beets – just for 10 days.
- Fruit – just for 10 days.
- All sugars real and artificial, including agave, honey, soda drinks, bottled drinks, etc.
- Anything that comes from a box, factory made, processed.
- Alcohol – just for 10 days 😉
I personally try to avoid nuts and seeds (I am not allergic, they are just not good for me), so they are not on my Yes list, but some people are okay with nuts and seeds, and Dr Hyman does include them into his Yeses (great link check it out!). I also have no issue with caffeine – no cravings, addiction – fall asleep like a baby after having a double espresso at dinner for dessert. So I do have some coffee and caffeinated tea during my detox, but no more than one cup of each a day.
I found Dr. Hyman’s 10-Day Detox the easiest to follow, and the best part is that it flows into an actual healthy, nurturing and manageable daily diet. It is not only a 10 Day plan to follow and leave, but the changes you implement in those 10 days will set you up for a healthy, clean, whole food diet moving forward.
By eliminating cravings, balancing your blood sugar, your gut bacteria and function, lowering inflammation, as well as helping your body to detox, all in only 10 days, this program provides a platform for a healthier lifelong diet and lifestyle.
Importantly, as you continue with this healthful, healing and nurturing way of eating, consider picking up Dr. Hyman’s The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook with over 175 great yummy recipes to support your health! As most of my readers know, I am not much of a cook. I do prepare great meals daily, for my whole family, but my husband is the real chef in our household. He loves to cook, I merely enjoy making quick, tasty, easy healthy meals, not much of a cookbook person. However I found this cookbook to be right up my alley. Beautifully made, easy to follow, simple delicious meals, mouth-watering pictures. Happy cooking!
Try it out! You can thank Dr. Hyman and I later 😉
To your health,